Monday, May 3, 2010

Mexicans in America: Tercera Parte: Criminal Activities

Mexicans in America: Criminal Elements

Yesterday’s installment of this re-published series focused on Aztlan, the mythical place; today’s Part Three deals with the criminals in that very real place, the United States.

Mexicans, El Salvadorans, Guatemalans, any Hispanics and, indeed, most people of any nationality are fundamentally good people. At least, that’s what I firmly believe.

I’ve also said that if I were in their positions of poverty and deprivation and if I had the opportunity to sneak into another country which happened to be rich by my standards, I probably would do it. If that were the only way I could provide for my family, as illegal as it may be, I’d give it a shot and risk arrest, deportation, and imprisonment, though imprisonment would be rare if I snuck into the United States.

Chances are, if I were apprehended for violating American immigration laws, I’d be fed a meal then packed off to my native country, enabling me to try, try, try again until I made it into the Land of the Gringos where I could earn some dollars to FedEx back home to be converted into pesos so that my wife and kids could eat and be a tad more comfortable.

Whether it would be via a restaurant job, a farm job, a factory job, I would consider myself, and my family, fortunate. I guess I’d pass at nannying, but who knows? . . .
(Read more at http://www.genelalor.com/blog1/?p=1658)

No comments: