Sunday, October 16, 2011

Wall Street Occupiers Bare Their Fangs

Wall Street Occupiers Bare Their Fangs

I was roundly chastised on October 8th by an indignant critic who took great umbrage at my early criticism of the self-proclaimed Wall Street Occupiers.

I must admit that my preliminary observations on the WSO were premature and only semi-accurate. I had suggested they were out of touch with reality whereas the truth could be that they are in close touch although their view of reality doesn’t approximate the beliefs of the 99% of Americans they claim to represent.

Kheaven1942 acerbically commented on my article, “Wall Street, the Numbnuts not the Movie” (http://tiny.cc/x2pnt) by saying, “Congratulations, this is the most delicately fabricated story I have ever read. It’s amazing to what lengths you went to make sure you capture only the very, very few in this movement who make it look uneducated and stupid. You, and everyone else following this story know very well how much more organized this is than what you are trying to portray in this sad excuse for journalism.”

In rebuttal, I would like to thank Kheaven for calling my writing “delicately fabricated” since I’m rarely delicate about anything but I have to correct him on his fabricated fabrication.

Kheaven went on to explain, “The movement is only a few weeks old. It is completely normal that it is still growing with no concise and clear direction and motivation–that would be asking too much. Give it a few more weeks, months, maybe even years, and this could be the new face of democracy.”

On that, I would have to agree and disagree. The demonstrations on Wall Street and yesterday in Times Square and across the nation may be growing without clarity of purpose but are “normal” only if normality is now defined by gross abnormality despite efforts by the mainstream media to depict them as a grassroots movement akin to the Tea Party.

For one important thing, Tea Partiers are law abiding people who respect the law, the rights of others, and common decency.

Sorry, Kheaven, but thousands of people exhibiting placards declaring hatred for and supporting the violent overthrow of my country, copulating in a public park, trampling on American flags, disrupting commerce and civil order, defying and intimidating legal authority, endorsing Nazism, Marxism, and anti-Semitism, and defecating on patrol cars among other outrages do not constitute the norm in any normal context.

Did I focus on the ”very, very few in this movement who make it look uneducated and stupid”? Hardly. The vast majority seem relatively educated but educated in public schools . . . (Read more at http://www.genelalor.com/blog1/?p=5729.)

No comments: