Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Brainlessness of Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow

The Brainlessness of Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow

“Show me a young Conservative and I’ll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I’ll show you someone with no brains.“

That sage observation credited to Winston Churchill holds more truth today in American political circles than it did when he originally uttered it and when its originators, Francois Guisot and, later, Georges Clemenceau, wrote it.

Young, conservative thinkers tend to be perceived as lacking compassion because they strive to have people think and act for themselves rather than relying on government and others to think and act for them. Old liberals, on the other hand, are so trapped in their rigid ideology that they are often perceived as incapable of functioning independently of that ideology.

I’ve been a liberal, back in the days of JFK when liberals, though deluded, were still on the American side and back before I grew up. The experience of evolving into a conservative is closely related to St. Paul’s thought in the First Epistle to the Corinthians: “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child.”

Liberals are both childish in their naïveté and brain-dead in their failure to recognize humanity’s true capacity and vision. Perhaps best epitomizing those qualities are two ultra-liberal television personalities, Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow.

Comedy Central’s Stewart paid a visit to MSNBC’s Maddow on Thursday night, what had to be tantamount to a homecoming for Stewart, one Jewish lib paying call on another on different but similar liberal turf.

Asked if he thought his “Daily Show” functions only as entertainment, Stewart responded, “I feel more of a kinship to Jerry Seinfeld, than I do to what you guys do or to what, you know, CNN does or what NBC does.” He meant that he sees what he does as political and social satire rather than serious news, far more in the mold of the Smothers Brothers and Bill Maher than of Maddow, CNN, NBC and the other MSM.

That was a revelation to Maddow . . .
(Read more at http://www.genelalor.com/blog1/?p=2642)

No comments: